As I had the house to myself over the Bank Holiday weekend I spent some lovely uninterrupted time at the sewing machine.
The spotty skirt is finished. I’m very glad I decided to line it because it has given it more body and it now hangs much better. I always find that sitting at my desk all day in a skirt lined with a satin-type fabric seems to put too much strain on the back seam and the fabric starts to pull at the stitches. On the last couple of skirts I have added a strip of satin ribbon, stitched along either side of the seam line, and this has definitely ‘spread the load’ and made a difference. I’ve done it again on this skirt just to be on the safe side.
I also decided to finish the hem with bias binding partly because I had cut it slightly too short and partly because the fabric had a tendency to fray rather drastically. I used this tutorial which was very helpful because I’ve never been sure how to finish the ends on bias binding and this worked perfectly. I know the grey lining and binding don’t really match the fabric but the lining was already cut out for another project so it saved a lot of time. I find it is much easier to hand sew the hem using the binding and it does give a really neat finish. The two layer construction of the fabric meant that I could just catch the inner layer so no stitching shows on the outside.
Next up was yet another Coco top. I mentioned the fabric in a previous post – a ponte Roma from Clothspot. When I came to use it it was a lot thinner than I had realised so I decided against the funnel neck and just went for the round neck version. I’m not crazy about the fabric and the stretch is minimal so it is a bit of a wriggle to get out of it! I’m sure it will be a useful basic though.
Last, but most definitely not least, the Brighton Pavilion dress (Butterick See & Sew B5447) is finished! It took no time at all once I got on with it and I absolutely love it. I’ve just noticed this photograph makes the hem look like it slants but it definitely doesn’t. The princess seams which are just visible in the first picture have blended in pretty well and the dress is lined in a lovely fine lawn which is really comfortable to wear. We have a party to go to on the 30th and this will be the perfect party frock! I’m so glad I’ll get a chance to wear it during Me-Made-May.
I’ve nearly finished another skirt with a nautical theme but that will be the subject of a separate post.