Note to self : always make up a toile when trying out a new pattern, it makes all the difference! I finished one for the Sew Over It tulip skirt from Simply Sewing magazine on Friday evening and discovered the following :
- I love the shape of the skirt
- The shorter length is definitely too short
- The pockets are far too low down for my (short) arms to reach
- I do not have the patience to wait for the next issue of the magazine for the rest of the instructions so am just going to get on with it
As a result of these discoveries I raised the pockets by 2.5 inches and added a couple of inches to the length of the skirt.
The pattern instructions are very clear and comprehensive, although I questioned using the same seam allowance for stitching the pocket pieces to the side seams initially and for the main seam allowance. I decided to do what I’ve done previously, ⅜ for the initial stitching and ⅝ for the main seam.
On to Saturday morning and a visit to The Eternal Maker, (a) because they are out of town and have their own parking and (b) because they have a very nice coffee bar which is an ideal place for W to sit and read the paper while I shop!
I came away with these three …
The blue chambray will be used for the Cynthia Rowley jacket. It is a really nice weight and I think it will work well.
The double-sided (stripes and spots) jersey is seriously lovely. It is made up of two thin layers joined together and is incredibly soft. I’ve not decided what to make with it yet but probably a Coco-type top if I can squeeze it out of the amount I’ve bought.
Yes, those are blue starfish and yes I am making the tulip skirt out of this fabric! W looked decidedly unsure when I showed it to him in the shop but now it is well on the way to being finished I think he is convinced by the choice. I love it and think this could end up being one of my favourite makes to date.
I made another zipped purse at the weekend from the Simply Sewing pattern, this one was for a birthday present to hold some fancy lip balm and cuticle cream. I did make a small piece of bias binding from the spotty fabric for the zip pull but the binding was too wide for the tiny hole and ended up in tatters – hence the pink ric-rac. The binding attempt was another first – following instructions in Simply Sewing (that magazine really has proved worth the investment) and using a tool I bought ages ago and had never even taken out of the packet. It is SO easy to do I might have a go at making a longer length.
The floral fabric was left over from this dress.
The big reveal of the starfish skirt will follow soon.