Bank Holiday Sewing Fest

As I had the house to myself over the Bank Holiday weekend I spent some lovely uninterrupted time at the sewing machine.

The spotty skirt is finished.  I’m very glad I decided to line it because it has given it more body and it now hangs much better.  I always find that sitting at my desk all day in a skirt lined with a satin-type fabric seems to put too much strain on the back seam and the fabric starts to pull at the stitches.  On the last couple of skirts I have added a strip of satin ribbon, stitched along either side of the seam line, and this has definitely ‘spread the load’ and made a difference.  I’ve done it again on this skirt just to be on the safe side.

I also decided to finish the hem with bias binding partly because I had cut it slightly too short and partly because the fabric had a tendency to fray rather drastically.  I used this tutorial which was very helpful because I’ve never been sure how to finish the ends on bias binding and this worked perfectly.  I know the grey lining and binding don’t really match the fabric but the lining was already cut out for another project so it saved a lot of time.  I find it is much easier to hand sew the hem using the binding and it does give a really neat finish.  The two layer construction of the fabric meant that I could just catch the inner layer so no stitching shows on the outside.

Next up was yet another Coco top.  I mentioned the fabric in a previous post – a ponte Roma from Clothspot.  When I came to use it it was a lot thinner than I had realised so I decided against the funnel neck and just went for the round neck version.  I’m not crazy about the fabric and the stretch is minimal so it is a bit of a wriggle to get out of it!  I’m sure it will be a useful basic though.

Black Coco

Last, but most definitely not least, the Brighton Pavilion dress (Butterick See & Sew B5447) is finished!  It took no time at all once I got on with it and I absolutely love it.  I’ve just noticed this photograph makes the hem look like it slants but it definitely doesn’t.  The princess seams which are just visible in the first picture have blended in pretty well and the dress is lined in a lovely fine lawn which is really comfortable to wear.  We have a party to go to on the 30th and this will be the perfect party frock!  I’m so glad I’ll get a chance to wear it during Me-Made-May.

I’ve nearly finished another skirt with a nautical theme but that will be the subject of a separate post.

An Unfinished Dress

I’ve been trying to work out just how long ago I started this dress and I think it might be four years! I made an earlier version of it in a floral fabric which turned out beautifully and I have worn it so much. All that needs doing to this one is some slip stitching at the shoulders where I’ve turned the lining through and hemming.  Unfortunately I couldn’t work out how the lining attaches to the main fabric along the hemline split (I was doing a sewing class when I finished the last one so had some help) and as a result it has ended up at the bottom of the pile. I’ve now had another look at it and I think because I didn’t have quite enough of the lining fabric (a lovely fine lawn) I had to cut it rather short which means that I can use this as an excuse not to finish it according to the pattern and just finish the split neatly and hem each layer separately. I did pull a loose thread which unravelled some of the understitching around the neckline.  This obviously hadn’t been finished properly so that will also need to be dealt with. The pattern is a Butterick See & Sew and I’m not sure how the envelope got so battered! The jacket is very definitely not my style but the dress is a lovely shape with princess seams and I adapted the pattern slightly on the hips for a really good fit. The fabric is a bit loud but I rather like it! The images are Brighton Pavilion and the fabric came from Ditto in Kensington Gardens in Brighton which is very appropriate.

I am going to make this a project for the weekend so it is ready to wear for the summer. I have finished my first two Morsbags and will be giving one away to a friend this afternoon. I sewed the label on the plain side of the one with blue boats so it was visible but now I wish I’d put it on the side with the patterned fabric as this is more likely to be on show. The floral/stripy image is the reverse of the first image and was constructed from three different fabrics.

The second one will be handed over tomorrow and I’ll then get on with the rest (eighteen to go).