I’ve been trying to work out just how long ago I started this dress and I think it might be four years! I made an earlier version of it in a floral fabric which turned out beautifully and I have worn it so much. All that needs doing to this one is some slip stitching at the shoulders where I’ve turned the lining through and hemming. Unfortunately I couldn’t work out how the lining attaches to the main fabric along the hemline split (I was doing a sewing class when I finished the last one so had some help) and as a result it has ended up at the bottom of the pile. I’ve now had another look at it and I think because I didn’t have quite enough of the lining fabric (a lovely fine lawn) I had to cut it rather short which means that I can use this as an excuse not to finish it according to the pattern and just finish the split neatly and hem each layer separately. I did pull a loose thread which unravelled some of the understitching around the neckline. This obviously hadn’t been finished properly so that will also need to be dealt with. The pattern is a Butterick See & Sew and I’m not sure how the envelope got so battered! The jacket is very definitely not my style but the dress is a lovely shape with princess seams and I adapted the pattern slightly on the hips for a really good fit. The fabric is a bit loud but I rather like it! The images are Brighton Pavilion and the fabric came from Ditto in Kensington Gardens in Brighton which is very appropriate.
I am going to make this a project for the weekend so it is ready to wear for the summer. I have finished my first two Morsbags and will be giving one away to a friend this afternoon. I sewed the label on the plain side of the one with blue boats so it was visible but now I wish I’d put it on the side with the patterned fabric as this is more likely to be on show. The floral/stripy image is the reverse of the first image and was constructed from three different fabrics.
The second one will be handed over tomorrow and I’ll then get on with the rest (eighteen to go).