The Torture That Is Unpicking

I always avoid unpicking as I absolutely hate doing it so why I embarked on what I am about to describe I do not know!

Some while ago I made a Coco top in an unsuitable (but lovely and soft) jersey fabric from Ditto in Brighton. It was far too thin and floppy and the funnel neck just wouldn’t stand up in the proper fashion.  Although it doesn’t look too bad in the photograph below it drooped within five minutes of putting it on.

I’d put it away in a drawer because I couldn’t bear to send it to the charity shop and last night I decided I would try and remove the funnel piece and re-sew the neckline. This involved unpicking not only the seam but an additional line of topstitching – all in a miniscule stretch stitch which had embedded itself in the fabric! Halfway through I wished I’d never started but by then I was at the point of no return. After what seemed like hours I achieved my aim, although there were a couple of tiny holes where I’d gone through the fabric rather than the thread.

Thankfully I hadn’t trimmed the seam originally so I was able to turn under a reasonable amount in order to hide the holes and create a new neckline.

From the outside it looks reasonably OK, although I’d forgotten how thin the fabric is and an appropriate underwear choice is essential. I think it might be more suitable for layering.

 Before After

Although the intensive unpicking activity has made the already annoying pain in my neck and shoulder worse at least it gives me an additional item for Me-Made-May as I’m beginning to run out of options! W is off to the HowTheLightGets In festival at Hay-on-Wye today so, although I’ll miss him, I’ve got a free weekend to spend at the sewing machine!