Keeping Cool

Much as I love the sunshine, I work in a 1960s building which is made primarily of glass (with no air con) and on a sunny day my office is like the hothouse at Kew Gardens!  We’re also right in the middle of a one-way system so if the windows are open we have to contend with traffic noise and fumes.  There are compensations.  I have a lovely view of Chichester Cathedral and, provided you can cross the road without incident, we are minutes from the centre of the city.

My current wardrobe worked well through Me-Made-May but I’m seriously lacking in suitable clothes for higher temperatures.  My two favourite sleeveless dresses are now too big and possibly too much of a fiddle to alter as they are both lined (and I’m a bit lazy).  I’ve not decided what their final fate will be.

I needed to sew something new, and quickly.   I had originally bought some striped cotton fabric from Ditto Fabrics to make a skirt inspired by this one from Anthropologie.

Having realised what I actually need is more tops and dresses I decided to make a dress.  I have more than enough stripy tops.  At that point I was planning another Esme dress (from this book) but having laid out the fabric I quickly spotted there wasn’t enough for sleeves!  So the sleeveless Esme was born.

I had cut already cut this out to take along to the first meeting of the new Chichester sewing group in case Karen and I actually had time to sew.  We didn’t!  There were too many people to talk to.

However, when I came to start sewing on Friday evening the fact that it was already cut out, my sewing machine had been cleaned and a new needle fitted (so I didn’t show myself up in front of other sewists) meant this was a very speedy make.  The machine was even threaded up with the right thread and a full bobbin.  The only issue was the mess up I made binding the armholes with bias binding.  I’ve disguised the untidy join with another piece of binding and I’m sure no-one will be inspecting my underarms that closely.  I will get it right next time.

The fabric had a tendency to fray so I decided to do French seams which I love because they are so neat and tidy.  I also stays stitched the neckline as soon as I released the fabric from the pattern pieces as it felt like it could easily stretch out of shape.

I did reference the original inspiration by cutting the pockets so the stripes run horizontally and this also made life a lot easier because I didn’t have to match the stripes.

This is probably the most comfortable garment I own and I think I’ll be cutting out another one very soon before this beautiful weather disappears.  I know the reason I’ve rejected the dresses from last year is because they are too loose – and so is this dress!  I’m OK with that because (a) it fits at the neckline and shoulders and (b) it’s supposed to be like that!   I’m also happy that this fabric doesn’t crease as much as I thought it would.  I sat and melted in it all day and it still looked pretty fresh.

 

Advertisements