One fabric … two projects

I had already drafted this post in my head when I read this one from Lesley King where she explains at the end how she likes to wear clothes to work that match the theme of her meetings. It sounds like she has the perfect job for this and her meetings certainly sound more interesting than the ones I go to!

Having said that, one of my many work activities involves racing yachts. Not actually racing them myself as I know pretty much nothing about actual sailing (other than it makes me feel a bit queasy) but I do know a lot about sailing regattas and organising groups of sailors to crew the yachts! Getting them all together in the same place at the same time with the right kit is always a challenge (like herding cats someone once suggested).

I spotted this fabric in C & H Fabrics in Chichester and decided it was a perfect choice. When I showed it to my boss his response was that it would “make nice cushions” so I decided to make him some. I’m not entirely sure whether he thought the fabric wasn’t suitable for a skirt but he won’t be wearing it so it doesn’t really matter!

Boat fabric

I was going to try it out with Tilly’s Delphine pattern but decided that I didn’t want to break the pattern up too much with a waistband so went for something very simple and stuck with the tried and tested McCall’s 3830 which I remembered to cut a bit longer than last time. For a bit of a change I decided to add in-seam pockets which I’ve only ever tried once before on a dress which turned out to be a disastrous sack-like shape and was never worn. I do love pockets!

McCalls 3830

I traced off a pocket pattern from an existing skirt but having sewn them in I realised they were far too big.  Rather than unpick everything I managed to reduce the size in situ with some careful cutting and re-stitching. I used the skirt fabric for the pocket bags because I didn’t have enough of the spotty lining fabric but next time I think I will try using a lighter weight fabric. I’ll also move the pockets up a tiny bit to take account of my short arms! I wish I’d used a more robust interfacing in the skirt facing as it tends to fold over and crease at the waist but it’s not a major issue.  I used bias binding for the hem again as I enjoyed the process last time.  It was great to have something new Me-Made to wear yesterday.

As for the cushions, I kept them very simple with an envelope back. This does use up a bit more fabric but avoids the need for a zip. The main problem here was that the boats appear on the fabric the right way up, sideways and upside down (the last two are not ideal positions for a boat).  Because I decided to squeeze three cushions out of the fabric one of them only has capsized boats on the front!


I washed the fabric before using it for the skirt. It did fade slightly in places but I managed to use that area up in the pocket bags. I didn’t bother with pre-washing for the cushion covers.

Morsbag 16

The Morsbag Challenge has been a bit neglected recently so last night I made number 16 which leaves four more to make. These are all going to be from another striped fabric which was an IKEA purchase destined to make a long cushion for a garden chair which never came to be. Two of the bags are already allocated so I will just have three more to give away (including the one above – unless I decide to keep it for myself).