Top 64

Once upon a time I commented on an IG post by Karen from The Draper’s Daughter and as a result we met up IRL and became friends!  Karen is a stockist for Merchant & Mills and having seen her version of the Top 64 I bought the pattern.  It sat in the waiting to be made pile for months but after spotting Sal’s top on IG (@sewingunlimited)  I was finally inspired to get on with it.  I had a remnant of a crinkly fabric with a tiny stripe from C & H Fabrics which I thought I’d try for the first attempt.

I was particularly keen on the pockets hidden within the front horizontal seam and the raglan sleeves which are made up of two separate pieces (i.e. front and back).

I do like the utilitarian packaging and presentation of Merchant & Mills patterns, although I think the illustrations may not be sufficient for a complete beginner (and I spotted a typo on the envelope!).  I traced off the Size 8 and made no initial adjustments even though I knew the sleeves would be way too long on me.  Everything came together very easily, especially the pockets, although I didn’t follow the instruction to secure the pockets down the back of the garment.  Instead I marked the stitch line on the front with chalk and used that as my guideline for top stitching.  I did end up with a rogue triangle of fabric sticking up at the top of the sleeve – I mentioned this to Sal and she didn’t have the same problem so I had clearly done something wrong.  My remedy was to chop it off, add the neck facing and pretend it hadn’t happened!

I was right about the length of the sleeves!  Here’s the finished garment before hemming.  The sleeves extended way beyond the ends of my fingers!

I prefer three-quarter length sleeves even in the winter so in the end I shortened them by about 20 cms.

This wasn’t the best fabric.  It doesn’t press that well and didn’t appreciate having iron on interfacing attached to it but, despite that, I think it worked really well for this top.  I wore it for the sewing meet-up previously blogged and it is so comfortable to wear.  My favourite thing is definitely the pockets.  I noticed a photograph of a dress version in the pattern details on the website which isn’t mentioned on the pattern itself.  I definitely think that would be worth a try.  I made a feature of the cross stitch used to secure the facing to the garment on the shoulder and back seam using embroidery thread which I really like.

Another pattern I’d recommend and next time I’ll aim get the top of the sleeve right!

Advertisements

11 thoughts on “Top 64

  1. I really like this understated but chic type of garment, finished well. With the scarf and white pants it is perfect. PS My remedy for odd bits that stick out is also to work around them and pretend it didn’t happen!

    Liked by 1 person

  2. This has worked so well for you ! I made this top a couple of years ago in a kind of boiled wool and it didn’t work at all, yours is much better. I might have to have another go in a lighter fabric.

    Liked by 1 person

    • I have no idea what happened there! The pattern piece is quite an unusual shape but I couldn’t see where I’d got wrong. I’ll sort it out next time I’m sure but the end result on this one was fine.

      Liked by 1 person

  3. Pingback: The Great British Sewing Bee Live | Jane Makes

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s